Family Faith Formation for Everyone
For our returning PREP families this is a change but if you are new to our parish or program, then welcome!
Please read through this section to understand the “what” and the “why” of our Family Faith program.
- All religious education for K-5th grade will now be the Family of Faith program. There will be no Wednesday night PREP classes. No more rushing around on Wednesday nights. Your family can now make faith formation a normal part of your schedule at a time that works best for you – maybe Sunday nights to end the weekend, maybe over Friday night dinner, or maybe you keep Wednesday as a tradition!
- The “lessons” are structured as discussions that you have as a family and activities that you do together. You will not be expected to sit and lecture to your children. The program is truly meant to give you a space to explore and grow in your faith as a family.
- The goals of this program are to encourage and equip you to live and teach your children the Catholic Faith at home. You do not need an extensive knowledge of Theology to participate. I promise.
- There will be a monthly meeting (probably a Zoom call for at least the start of year) for parents to provide you with all the info, support, and guidance you need to tackle the at-home lessons for that month. In the future, we will also have monthly community meetings to gather and grow in friendship.
- The workbooks are amazing. Each family will get both a Parent Guide and a Student Activity Book. The Parent Guide has EVERYTHING you will need to manage the two lessons for the month. Yep just two per month. The Student Activity Book is filled with activities! You get to CHOOSE which activities best work for your family considering age, maturity, and interest of your children.
So, why the switch?
- Well, the current health crisis was certainly a factor at this time. Based on input from the Archdiocese and thinking through the logistics of a shared space with the school, we saw no option that would allow us to safely, responsibly and confidently continue with in-person classroom instruction this year.
- Our small pilot program last year was, for all intents and purposes, a success. We saw families grow in faith together and grow as a community. We heard about kids wanting to come back to our Sunday morning meetings. We also had the chance to work out some of the kinks so this year can run even more smoothly.
- The Main Reason: Research tells us this is a better model for growing in faith. Studies have shown that parental involvement in the faith-life of their child is BY FAR the most important element in ensuring that a child develops into a practicing Christian. Faith Formation cannot be confined to a classroom or the church building.
I’m sure you have questions or will have questions. We will hopefully be planning a zoom call informational meeting some time in August to more fully explain the program and answer all your questions.
What do I do now?
- Send questions to our DRE, Alexandra LaMastra at email@example.com. We will work to compile an FAQ and make sure you feel confident and supported in this new journey for our Parish. (Please be patient with us as we are still in the process of hiring a new DRE so we might not get back to you as quickly as normal)
- Join our MDP Religious Education Facebook page here. We will try to post more information and answer questions from time to time on there as well.
- Register (if you haven’t already)! Click here to fill out the online form.
We look forward to another great year of Religious Ed!